Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Transplants

I read an article in the Star Tribune today by HJ Cummins that was about how the first bone marrow transplant was performed 40 years ago at the university of minnesota and it was celebrating that fact. The article talked about a man named Dr. John Wagner who performed the first marrow transplant that was used to cure a disease other than a bone or blood disorder, which was a deadly skin disease. The University of minnesota medical facility is one of the best in the country, a fact i learned last august when my mom had a new kind of liver transplant where the took a piece of my mom's sister's, my aunt's, liver and put it in my mom, and not having her wait for a whole one from a cadaver. Medicine has come a long way in the last 40 years, and this article was written to show how much people appreciate the life saving work doctors all around the country do.

No comments: